Halo is well-established as being among the best electric skateboard manufacturers in the world. Known for pushing the boundaries of what is possible, their high-performance e-skateboards are much loved by boarders everywhere.
Halo’s current flagship board is the Board Beast.
Critically acclaimed and widely subject to positive reviews from consumers, let’s see what all the fuss is about and help you decide whether it’s worth buying.
Overall, there can be little doubt the Board Beast is a stunning product. Anyone who owned the similarly acclaimed Halo Board 2 will have grand expectations if they decide to upgrade to the Board Beast. We weren’t disappointed, and we’re confident you won’t be, either.
When you take the Board Beast out of the box, the first thing that will hit you is the quality of the build and the board in general. In combining a carbon fiber frame with a maple deck, this skateboard is well designed, well-built, and looks fantastic. Performance-wise, it’s easily one of the best e-boards on the market, giving you a skateboarding experience unlike any other.
The price is high, but if ever there was a relevant use of the phrase “you get what you pay for,” it’s here with the Board Beast.
Want to know more? Let’s see what the Board Beast delivers in more detail.
Deck Length: 37 inches / 94cm
Wheels: 97mm Halo Street Wheels – 74a
Wheelbase: 29 inches / 73.5 cm
Trucks: Aluminium Double Kingpins, 12 inches
Remote: Ergonomic Bluetooth Halo Remote
Weight Limit: 130kg / 286lbs
Charge Time: Between 4 and 5 hours for 0 – 100% battery charge
Safe Battery: 10.4 Ah Certified Firesafe Lithium-Ion Battery
Charger: UL Certified Charger, included with Halo Board Beast
For Ages: 10 years and older
Deck Material: Maple Deck / Carbon Fiber Blend Battery Case
Speed: Up to 26mph
Range: 25 miles
Hill Grade: Up to 25%
What’s Included with the Halo Board Beast?
- Halo Board Beast, Maple Beck with Carbon Fiber Blend Battery Case.
- Ergonomic Bluetooth Halo Multi-Mode Remote.
- UL Certified Charger for your board.
- Quick start guide and user documentation.
The Board Beast is loaded with features that don’t just ensure your new board will look great, but that you’ll have a best in class product when it comes to performance, too.
The improved, certified fire safe batteries give increased range and work alongside new 3200W dual drive motors. These motors deliver the power and torque you need to keep you moving, whether on the flat, boarding uphill, or across off-road terrain. These new motors are brushless and barely make a sound when in action; at least, not one you’ll notice! You’ll enjoy a super-smooth ride and still be able to kick push the board even if you are caught short of battery juice.
The Board Beast also features an improved torque management system and acceleration and braking algorithm to enhance the smoothness of your ride and improve your experience of boarding.
Another enhancement found in the box is what Halo has done with the remote. Intuitive and straightforward to use, you’ll have more control over your ride than ever before with three speed settings. Whether you want to slowly get to grips with your board, cruise around town, or unleash the full power of your Board Beast, you can do all three during the same ride if you wish!
Design and Build Quality
The Board Beast builds on the design of the Halo Board 2, keeping the general shape and appearance, but with some fundamental changes.
First, the carbon fiber deck has gone, replaced by a more traditional and longer 37-inch maple deck. However, Halo has kept this black, so the board still has the same slick and stylish appearance, as well as having improved stability and durability for off-road riding. The swap to maple also removes the need for a broad strip of grip tape on top of the deck. Instead, a honeycomb grip design will help to keep your feet stable and enable you to maneuver your Board Beast as you wish.
The ends of the Board Beast are narrower than we saw on the Halo Board 2, with the wheels more visible as a result. Another consequence of this is that the Board Beast has a more pronounced shape. While the edges of the board remain curved and smooth, keeping the sleekness of the design, the corners are much more noticeable than on the Halo Board 2.
The underside of the Board Beast is a thing of aesthetic beauty. The battery is placed within a perimeter case, so it’s invisible when looking at your board from the side. Hiding away the battery and getting mighty power from a physically small power unit is something of a Halo trademark, and they deliver in spades here.
The Board Beast offers incredible durability. As well as being capable of carrying riders up to 286 pounds in weight, this e-board comes fitted with 97mm wheels. Your Board Beast can also be equipped with Halo’s 120mm all-terrain wheels (sold separately) if you plan to take your Board Beast off-road.
The bigger wheels combined with 4.5-inch clearance and 12-inch Double Kingpin aluminum trucks will keep your handling and carving smooth and reliable, wherever you’re riding.
Performance and Range
The Board Beast isn’t just built for durability. It’s built for performance and speed, too.
This board can reach a scarcely believable 26 mph and will feel even quicker when you’re standing and traveling on it! Whether the Board Beast is your first e-skateboard or your first board this powerful, you’ll find even the lowest speed setting will blow you away. The Board Beast has the power and torque to keep high speeds even when going uphill and can efficiently deal with 25% gradients.
While the speed of the Board Beast is impressive, the most significant difference you’ll find from a performance perspective is the range. This board gives you a range of up to 25 miles, although this will depend on where you go. Hilly terrain or off-road boarding is likely to reduce this. However, you will still be able to further than you would do on most other e-skateboards on the market. The improved range, which is up from 14 miles on the Halo Board 2, is delivered by a 10.4Ah battery, which provides almost double the power seen in Halo’s previous model. Bigger battery and more power mean a longer charge time of between 4 and 5 hours, but for what you get, it’s well worth the wait.
The Board Beast also uses a regenerative braking system, helping to recharge the battery while you’re boarding and helping you to ride for longer.
What We Like About the Halo Board Beast
- Amazing Build. Even those who aren’t interested in boarding will be impressed by the design of the Board Beast. As well as swapping out the carbon fiber deck for a traditional maple deck, the more pronounced shape of the deck and the extra exposure of the wheels to allow for the fitting of all-terrain vehicles mean this is an incredible looking board. The hidden batteries and sleek base finish off the stylish design of the Board Beast to perfection.
- Even Better Performance than the Halo Board 2. Along with most e-skateboarding lovers, we were blown away by the Halo Board 2. Yet, Halo has made the Board Beast so much better it’s like a completely new product rather than an evolution. 25-mile range and a 26mph top speed driven by those 3200W dual drive motors are simply stunning specs for a skateboard.
- Intuitive Remote Control. The redesigned Bluetooth Halo remote is brilliant. We know we’ll be hitting the streets and aiming for the top speed, but we know not everyone will be doing the same. This new remote makes it easy to grow into your board, whatever your confidence, skill, and experience level.
- Regenerative Braking System. The improved battery makes the range of the Board Beast incredible on its own. The use of a regenerative braking system to help recharge your batteries while you ride is truly an innovation and will enable you to get even more out of your board.
- Compatible with All-Terrain Wheels. If you’re passionate about taking your skateboard off-road, this has the potential to be a game-changer. In addition to the all-terrain grip, the bigger wheels will make your off-road e-boarding far easier and enable you to maintain stability and speed. The Halo all-terrain wheels are sold separately but well worth the extra investment.
What We Don’t Like About the Halo Board Beast
- We don’t like the cost of the Board Beast. At the same time, we did say this board is a perfect example of getting what you pay for, and we’d 100% stick by that. Would we pay the price anyway even though we dislike it? We would, but we’d probably wait for a reduction or special offer price before we did.
- Charging Time. 4 – 5 hours is a long time to wait to achieve full charge on an e-board battery. Although it’s expected and we love the power and range we get, it’s still a trade-off we’d rather not deal with. The best way around it is to keep your batteries topped up after every ride rather than waiting until it’s empty and doing a full charge. Trust us, the first ride after the first charge is more than worth the wait!
- The beauty of skateboards, electronic or not, is how easy they are to carry around either yourself or in the car. The Board Beast takes a little of this away, coming in at a whopping 23 pounds! It’s not enough to put us off wanting to own it, but it’s worth being aware of before parting with your cash.
The Halo Board Beast is probably the best e-skateboard on the market. Sure, it’s a premium product, for which you’ll pay a premium price, but it’s an amount that devoted boarders will find worth paying. It’s beautifully designed and built. Also, the Board Beast comes with performance capabilities that make it ideal whether you’re looking for a convenient all-terrain mode of transport for a commute or want to take your skateboarding hobby to another level.
Check the latest price on the Halo Board Website
You can use the code “ORDER50” for an extra $50 off!
Read More on AltRiders
Leave a Reply