MiniMotors is renowned as one of the oldest and most famous brands in the electric scooter industry. MiniMotors has been around since 1999, initially specializing in products such as electric motor boards and electric scooters for seniors. It wasn’t until 2009 that the company would start building products aimed more toward the electric motorsports sector.
From 2009, MiniMotors would produce an array of electric vehicles, and in 2015 would launch it’s first Dualtron electric scooter. A pioneer in this space, MiniMotors’ first Dualtron electric scooter was also the world’s first dual-motor electric scooter.
One of the most popular products in the MiniMotors Dualtron range is the Mini Electric Scooter.
Let’s look at whether it’s a worthwhile purchase for anyone looking for an electric scooter.
- Quick Look
- Quick Specs
- What’s Included with the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter?
- Design and Build Quality
- Performance and Range
- What We Like About the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter
- What We Don’t Like About the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter
- Final Thoughts
- Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter
The Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter is the only single-motor scooter in the Dualtron series and also the cheapest and lowest spec Dualtron model, but don’t let this statement trick you. It doesn’t mean that this scooter is weak- no, not at all! Indeed this scooter packs a lot of power for its size. It is definitely an upgrade from the Speedway Leger or Mini 4 Pro and a great way to enter the MiniMotors Dualtron series.
Given the potential speeds that the Dualtron Mini can hit this is obviously a scooter for experienced users only, but a great entry-level electric scooter for anyone buying their first Dualtron scooter.
Want to know more about the Dualtron Mini? Read on for our full review!
Motor: MAX 1,450W BLDC hub motor
Battery: 52V – 17.5 Ah – 1,050Wh – LG MJ1 cells
Charge Time: 10 hours with standard charger, 5 hours with two standard chargers, 2.6 hours with the quick charger. One standard charger is in the box, and additional chargers can be purchased separately.
Max Mileage/Range: 34 miles (mileage may vary depending on rider weight and road conditions)
Max Speed: 32 mph (limited in the USA to 15 mph via speed limiting wire)
Climbing Grade: 37% or 20 degrees depending on rider weight and state of charge
Braking System: Rear Drum Brake with ABS standard (single brake)
Tires: 9″ x 2″ Pneumatic Tube
Max Load: 220 lbs (though we think that this is very much on the safe side and a heavier rider would be no problem)
Scooter Weight: 48 lbs
Product Material: Frame is aviation-grade 6082-T6 aluminum alloy, the shaft is SCM440 steel, and plastic covers
What’s Included with the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter?
- Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter.
- LED Remote Control.
- Nut Caps.
- Default Basic Tool.
- Default Battery Charger and Charging Plug.
- Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter User Manual
The Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter has an array of features that will get you moving no matter how you plan to use your scooter. Owning a Dualtron Mini means you’ll always be able to travel around town on a stylish piece of kit, too!
The Lithium-Ion 52V LG MJ1 battery gives an excellent mileage range for the price you’ll pay. At the same time, the 1,450W BLDC hub motor will keep you moving on and off-road, regardless of the terrain. To get such mileage and maintain speed and performance on hills from such a relatively small battery pack is a testament to the quality of the Dualtron Mini. You’ll also enjoy a smooth ride with minimal noise disruption coming from the motors.
The Dualtron Mini comes with an LED remote which allows you to change the colour and pattern of the LED lighting bars on the handle post and body, which is a cool feature to have.
Design and Build Quality
The Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter is at the forefront of electric scooter design. Its simple but stylish look will be familiar to anyone with an affinity towards MiniMotors products.
This model is built with an aviation-grade 6082-T6 aluminum alloy combined with SCM440 steel. The Dualtron Mini is all black, except for some Dualtron branding on the handle post/steering tube and body.
As always, MiniMotors have paid close attention to aesthetics. While the straight-line design around the body and wheels might seem clinical to some, the scooter’s black coloring only adds to its stylish appearance. All the features of this scooter are incorporated tastefully into the design, from the positioning of lights on the handle post and body to the location of the LED lights and charging port.
The scooter feels very robust and the build quality is excellent, which can be noticed from the first moment you unpack the scooter. The build of the body and casing around the front wheel means the battery unit is invisible. While both the front and rear suspension springs are visible, this is again offset by the all-black color blending all the features within the design.
High ground clearance, dual-spring suspension, and all-terrain tires ensure this is an excellent scooter whether you’re planning to stick to the tarmac or take your Dualtron Mini off-road.
The deck is wide but short, which may be something that needs to get used to, depending on where you tend to have your feet and your riding style.
The folding mechanism is simple, feels robust and easy to perform, which is something that we don’t see very often in electric scooters.
Performance and Range
As well as delivering a reasonable durability level in build and potential usage, the Dualtron Mini more than delivers when it comes to performance and range.
Although the Dualtron Mini has a potential top speed of 32 mph, bear in mind your location may limit this. However, if you can use the full range of power and speed, you’ll be able to get around most places as if you were in a car. The climbing grade of the Dualtron Mini is good, too, although you’ll of course need to take charging state into account. If you’re getting close to using the full mileage range and have a to tackle a hill before you arrive home, you might not make it. However, the performance here is acceptable and will make the scooter a worthwhile purchase for most users.
Speaking of the range, you can expect to get up to 34 miles worth of riding out of your Dualtron Mini. This is as always dependent on road conditions and usage, so you’d be wiser to plan for around 25 miles and not risk running out of juice at inopportune times! However, at the same time, with an energy-saving riding style and good conditions you can get even more out than the 34 miles.
When you do decide to unleash the full speed and power of your Dualtron Mini, you’re backed up the rear drum brake and ABS, which has five power settings enabling you to tailor usage to your location and riding style.
What We Like About the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter
- Value for money: The cost of the Dualtron Mini is nothing short of incredible for the build quality and performance you get. We know that other Dualtron models can go faster, further, and bear more weight, but they come with a much higher price tag as well.
- All-Terrain Capability. While electric scooters are often pigeonholed into being seen purely as commuter vehicles, modern models are far much more. In delivering all-terrain capability, aided by high ground clearance and dual spring suspension, the Dualtron Mini becomes an even more durable scooter representing even better value!
- Electric Braking and ABS Capabilities. With the potential to reach speeds of up to 32mph you’re always going to want your scooter to be able to slow you down efficiently. The Dualtron Mini delivers excellent performance in this area, giving you the confidence you need to unleash your scooter’s performance potential.
- Easy to change tires: While changing tires of most scooters is an unpleasant hustle, the tire system on the Dualtron Mini with separating rims makes it very easy to do so.
What We Don’t Like About the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter
- Weight: Whether you get caught in the rain and need to take your scooter onto the train, or prefer using your Dualtron Mini for going off-road and will need to load it in and out of the car, at 48lbs it isn’t the easiest thing in the world to move around if you’re trying to do so without riding it.
- Short deck: The short deck is obviously a compromise Dualtron had to made to save space and weight and needs some time to get used to it.
There’s no doubt the Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter is a fantastic product. For the price you’ll pay, it’s excellent value.
However in case you are looking for something super-portable, 48 lbs might be still a bit heavy, but to be clear, you will not find much lighter options with a similar performance neither. Besides that, and once you are used to the short deck, this scooter will prove both extremely useful and fun to ride!
Read More on AltRiders