Razor is one of the best scooter brands in the world right now, they have a huge range of scooters and other forms of personal transport including electric scooters such as the Razor E300. The Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooter is one of their best kick scooters and one of the most popular scooters for both teens and adults alike. In this review of the A5 Lux we’ll look at what makes it so popular, the good and the bad and whether we think it’s worth the money.
Whilst the Razor A5 Lux isn’t the best looking kick scooter on the market, it does excel in many areas. It’s one of the best value for money scooters that you can buy, coming in less than many of its major competitors whilst also having a good range of features, fantastic performance and great build quality. It’s tried and tested, super easy to use and is one of the most popular kick scooters in the world for a reason. For more of an in depth look as to why this is the case, keep reading.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
- Weight: 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg)
- Size: 35 x 21 x 41 inches
- Maximum Rider Weight: 220 lbs
- Colors: Pink, Blue, White/Red
- Warranty: 180 days
There isn’t much to say about kick scooters when it comes to features, because they all tend to be very similarly equipped and there is little room for true ingenuity. Despite this there’s still quite a lot to say about the Razor A5 Lux.
We’ll start with the deck. Razor use an aircraft grade aluminum that creates a sturdy and comfortable deck that can officially support riders of weights up to 220 lbs, but we think it’s strong enough to support considerably more. The wheels of the scooter also help contribute to this weight limit as they are made of urethane, which is what is usually used on skateboards. They measure 200mm which help make the Razor A5 Lux a great option for adults as it gives greater height and control.
Another notable feature of the A5 Lux is the quality rear fender foot brake that’s simple to use and very effective. It’s also worth noting that the Razor A5 Lux comes fully assembled and ready to go, simply take it out of the box and get riding.
The A5 Lux also has a neat little kickstand for when you need to take a break, a folding mechanism to allow you to easily carry it around with you when you’re not using it and completely adjustable handlebars.
Read More: Best Electric Scooters for Adults
Design and Build Quality
As with the features of kick scooters, there isn’t that much in the way of truly original or interesting design out there. The Razor A5 Lux is a decent looking scooter, its conventional and a bit bland but isn’t ugly. It has a rather shiny exterior finish with the foam handles and rubber wheels adding something a bit different rather than just shiny aluminum to look at. The joints are a little rough, with some welds being quite obvious. However for the price the design and finish is perfectly acceptable.
The build quality is very good though. It feels sturdy and solid and yet is very light. The aluminum frame will give you peace of mind that your new scooter will be able to survive a harsh ride or two. The wheels are just as good as the frame and feel sturdy yet have enough give in them to provide a surprisingly good ride. The Razor A5 Lux has had the praise of many people when it comes to durability and build quality so it’s not just the team at AltRiders that think this.
The best aspect of the performance of the Razor A5 Lux is the surprising comfort and smooth ride you get from the scooter. It doesn’t have any suspension but the deck size, versatile handlebars and especially the wheels work in unison to give a fantastic ride. It’s smooth, easy to kick and fits many different body types well.
The Razor A5 Lux is also surprisingly fast with a great distance travelled for each kick. This is likely due to the smooth wheels and lightweight, streamlined design. The braking performance is also very good. The rear fender brake is a simple and very effective solution that works as well as you’d hope.
The good performance of the A5 Lux is pretty much limited to dry weather conditions. Whilst it doesn’t fare too badly on damp surfaces when the pavement gets really wet it can be easy to start slipping and sliding due to the lack of any real grip on the wheels. Razor themselves don’t recommend the A5 Lux to be ridden in wet conditions for that reason and we think it’s best to listen to them on this one. Also the wheels kick up a bit of water so it’s likely you’ll get some splashback all over your legs. Best stay to good conditions.
What We Like About the Razor A5 Lux
- Comes Fully Assembled – There’s nothing worse than getting home from the shop or opening the package from Amazon and having to fiddle around for an hour trying to find parts and screws when all you want to do is jump on your new scooter. Well this lets you do just that! It is literally ready to ride straight out of the box, just unfold and go!
- Great Quality Wheels – The large urethane wheels are not only durable and well made, but also are a great alternative to suspension. They help the ride of the A5 Lux stay consistently smooth and keep you moving fast with little effort. The size of the wheels also helps taller riders feel more comfortable on the deck.
- Fantastic Value for Money – There are many scooters under the $100 price point but this is usually well under. Not only that but the built quality and the features mean that you’re getting a lot of scooter for the money. We’ve rarely found other kick scooters for adults and teens that perform so well for so little money.
What We Don’t Like About the Razor A5 Lux
- The Looks – By far the biggest complaint with the Razor A5 Lux that the AltRiders team have is the looks. Their not necessarily bad but it’s a rather uninspired, generic looking scooter with a just about average finish to it. We feel bad about complain about the looks when the scooter is so cheap so if you’re looking for a better looking scooter that performs as well then expect to pay much more for it.
- Doesn’t Perform Well in Bad Conditions – We’re only really including this in this section because we couldn’t think of anything else we didn’t like. Not performing well in the rain is a common issue with most kick scooters so we can’t really complain too much about this. It would be great if it was as good in the rain as it was on a dry day but you can’t have it all.
Overall the Razor A5 Lux is one of the best kick scooters for adults and teens that you can buy. It’s definitely one of the best kick scooters for the money and we think it’s perfect for someone on a budget or someone looking to buy their first kick scooter for commuting, fun or even for trying a few stunts.
The performance, features and impressive build quality make the A5 Lux a very good buy. Expect to get years of fun out of it for a very reasonable price. It even comes in a range of colors!
Check the latest price on Amazon.
If you have any other questions or queries then feel free to comment below or connect with us on our Facebook.
Click this link for the Razor A5 Lux manual.
Leave a Reply